Sunday 20 April 2014

Athlete's profile 19

ATHLETE'S PROFILE  19 

 

Name : Jez Brown 

Club : Buckley Runners 

Previous club : Manchester metropolitan university fell runners (1990 to 1993) 

Age: 41, D.O.B.: 03/07/1972 

How long have you been competing : I ran as a junior, had many years off, ran to keep fit in my early 30's, then started running competitively in 2007. I trained for and ran the Anglesey marathon that year, and haven't stopped running since. 

Any other sports played : No time for any other sports ! I did use to enjoy golf and football, but if I have a spare hour now, would prefer to run. 

Other hobbies or interests : Reading, cycling, camping, anything outdoors. I have two children so a fair amount of time involves making sure they are entertained, enjoy their interests and being a taxi ! 

Favourite racing distance : Anything from 10k to 15 miles or so 

Favourite race and why : So hard to pick just one - there are some great local races in the hills over the summer - Push up the PIncyn, The Druid, The Beast, Moel y Gamelin, Ponderosa - many of which end up in a pub, which is a bonus.

I ran the Borrowdale fell race last year, and the Manx Mountain Marathon the year before which were great events, but I have to say, nowhere as near as enjoyable as the variety of running in the fell races across Snowdonia. 

My favourite is the Peris Horseshoe - really challenging 17.5 miles, 8500 feet of mountains and amazing scenery - last years race was a British championship race, which gave me the opportunity to line up with elite, and inspirational fell runners from across the UK, and the route is an absolute classic. 

Favourite training session : Anything off road, and with at least one hill. I do longer runs in the Clwydian Range, there is a 2 mile stretch  from the Llangynhafal side which ascends to the summit (it's the reverse of the Jubilee Plunge race) which is such a great climb - tough but enjoyable, and I usually try to get this in as part of my run. The session I run most is all off road, on fields and bridleways around Higher Kinnerton and Penyffordd. 

Proudest moment - I have been very proud to represent North Wales in road and cross country events.

  One of my proudest moments was winning the Penmaenmawr fell race in 2012, as it is such a classic, and well established fell race, one of the oldest in Wales. I was in a group of three coming down the last, very steep descent, and just threw caution to the wind, coming in ahead by a few seconds. 

Whom do you most admire and why : I have a lot of admiration for runners in the very competitive V70 age category who run in races and conditions that are very challenging, I hope to be able to be doing the same myself in 30 years time. A lot of the V60 and V70 runners are coming in well ahead of runners many years younger, which is very inspiring to see. The achievement by John Morris, from Buckley Runners who ran 70 races last year to celebrate his 70th birthday was amazing.

On an international level Haile Gebreselassie is a legend - he is a similar age to me, and reminds me of how athletes can still be incredibly strong and fast, with age not slowing you down too much. - just a new age category.

Many thanks also to all the race organisers, and the marshals who are out for hours in sometimes horrendous conditions.
 

Any personal ambitions : I would love to be called up to represent Wales in a mountain running championship, or in the Snowdon International race. I also plan to run some more of the classic fell races across the UK over the next few years.
 

Any regrets : Not staying for the prize giving at the Anglesey marathon
- I missed the opportunity to have this given to me by the legend that is Colin Jackson. Never did get the medal either !

 
Any embarrassing experiences : I have had many navigational embarrassments, as my sense of direction, and reluctance to stop to read maps can lead to problems on the hills. The most embarrassing experience to date is, having successfully got round most of the Peris horsehoe race, mis-understanding which way the last, very large yellow arrow was directing runners, and running down the road to the village rather than into the woods and the finish line. I then had to run back an extra mile to the finish line, past runners who had finished, head down in shame !

 
What changes would you like to see : It has been great to see new fell races starting up over the last few years, more of these would be good.

The challenges of putting races have led to some great races not being continued such as the Farndon 10k, Chirk Castle 10k, Berwyn Ras, Llety

(Tavern) race and it is a real shame to not be able to run these.

  Younger runners and more road runners trying fell running would be good to see. The prices of some of the road races are starting to rise to levels which will put a lot of runners who enjoy regular racing No more than a pound per mile would be good to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment