Friday 6 December 2013

Athlete's profile (13)

ATHLETE'S PROFILE (13)

Sean McCormack

CLUB: Abergele Harriers, no previous clubs.

AGE: 50

LENGTH OF TIME COMPETING: 16 years

ANY OTHER SPORTS: No, but I did coach rugby before I started running

FAVOURITE RACING DISTANCE: Ultras, but marathons make for a nice "short" training run.

FAVOURITE RACE: The Comrades Ultra in South Africa. Everything about the race is brilliant, brutally hard but brilliant.

PROUDEST MOMENT: Standing on the podium in Llandudno with a bronze team medal in the Commonwealth 24-hour race in 2011, followed very closely by being there to witness my son Steven finishing this year's Comrades Marathon.

WHOM DO YOU MOST ADMIRE (INSIDE ATHLETICS AND OUTSIDE): Inside athletics, Emily Gelder (from Llandrindod) a brilliant Welsh ultra runner whom I am proud to have raced with and known. Outside athletics - my father, who made me the person I am today in every way.

PERSONAL AMBITIONS: I have achieved everything I ever wanted in athletics and am very proud of that. My only ambitions is to continue enjoying the sport I love as much as I do and to help others to enjoy it just as much and to achieve their full potential.

ANY REGRETS: Not looking up when I was running one very dark night in November, 2008, and crashing into a barrier and breaking three bones in my right foot. I never managed to get my speed back to where it had been after that, BUT every cloud has a silver lining and this one has a very silver lining as it led to my taking up ultra running in which I gained several Welsh vests, which I am very proud of.

ANY EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES: Running into that barrier!

WHAT CHANGES (IF ANY) WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN OUR SPORT: More recognition for the fantastic achievements of our ultra runners such as John Pares, Iain Ridgway and Emily Gelder and the utterly amazing Lizzy Hawker.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment