Wednesday 31 July 2013

Athlete's Profile (9)

ATHLETE'S PROFILE (9)

Martin Cortvriend

CLUB: Denbigh Harriers (plus Prestatyn RC, second-claim)

ANY PREVIOUS CLOUBS: Stockport Harriers, Buxton AC, Bollington Harriers, Macclesfield Harriers, Clwydian Range Runners

AGE: 61

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN COMPETING: Since I stopped playing football 30 years ago - did race no 1,114 last week.

 ANY OTHER SPORTS PLAYED: Pool

 OTHER HOBBIES OR INTERESTS: Growing potatoes, organising fell-races, quaffing pints of ale at the Goldie, Llangynhafal

FAVOURITE RACING DISTANCE: Fell-races that take me about an hour to complete. The worse the weather the better.

 FAVOURITE RACE AND WHY: Caw Fell Race in the Lake District. I competed in this for 7 consecutive years and always did well as I was one of the few runners who could see over the tops of the bracken. Unfortunately they moved the race to earlier in the year before the bracken grew and I lost my advantage

 FAVOURITE TRAINING SESSION: Up to Moel Famau and back

PROUDEST MOMENT: Being selected for Gareth's athlete's questionnaire. There are many clichés in running - "No pain, no gain" and "pride comes before a fall", and I don't fancy falling again. But I am quite proud of our club's endeavours in team events, for a small club we have done very well in cross-country, British Fell Relays and the Castles Relay

 WHOM DO YOU MOST ADMIRE (INSIDE ATHLETICS AND OUT) and WHY: Eddie Naisby (Prestatyn RC) for looking so good running in his late 80s.

 ANY PERSONAL AMBITIONS:  Keeping on running by finding new ways to motivate myself

ANY REGRETS: Je ne regrette rien

ANY EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES: As a race referee, disqualifying two African runners for going the wrong way in the Commonwealth Mountain Running Championships at Llanberis and then finding out later that I'd been nominated to take them back to their hotel in Llandudno with ther team manager. They were very amiable anout it, though.

WHAT CHANGES (IF ANY) WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE SPORT: Not many please. A bit worried about these very expensive mud and rat races with obstacles (e.g. over £100 for a run up Snowdon). I think people are getting ripped off with some of these.

1 comment:

  1. Great article thanks. Which race was the 1000th I wonder?

    ReplyDelete