Thursday 11 July 2013

Athlete's Profile (8)

ATHLETE'S PROFILE (8)

ANDY WALLING


NAME: Andy Walling

CLUB: Sale Harriers and Menai Track and Field

ANY PREVIOUS CLUBS:

AGE AND DATE OF BIRTH:  40 3/4/73

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN COMPETING: 31 years

ANY OTHER SPORTS PLAYED: As a youngster I played football and rugby league.  I did gymnastics, swimming, rounders etc at school.  I played a bit of golf and snooker too!

OTHER HOBBIES OR INTERESTS:  Eating cake with a nice cup of tea is pretty high on my agenda!  I am a fan of Salford Rugby League Club to and have had the misfortune of watching them from the age of 4!  Thanks Dad!  I have been coaching since 1994 and I am involved with a really talented group of athletes at the moment.  I am also a physio and I work for British Athletics one day a week as well as in Athlete Matters in Worsley and the NHS in north Wales.  Thank goodness I have a supportive wife and two young daughters!

 FAVOURITE RACING DISTANCE:  It used to be 800m and 1500m I was very much a track runner who did road and cross country to help the summer performances.  Now I plod around most distances wondering which bit of me is going to ache next!

FAVOURITE RACE AND WHY:   I don’t have a favourite race!  My most memeorable one was in Eldoret, Kenya last year.  It was a XC race at 2,000m in thirty degrees heat.  I was the only Mizungo (white man) and I looked obese next to the Kenyan racing snakes.  The first mile was about 4.10 at the front.  I didn’t finish last and Asbel Kiprop Olympic 1500m champion in Beijing dropped out so I am having that as a victory.  If you are reading Asbel, I think you will find that our head to heads read Walling 1v0 Kiprop!! 

 
FAVOURITE TRAINING SESSION:  These days if I get out for a run I’m happy!  I join in some sessions and I was doing some 30 minute volume sessions with some of the group, Rob Samuel, Nathan Jones,  Siobhan Evans, Tammy Twp and the students (Kash, Rowlinson and Wiggy)  They are great endurance sessions!

 
 PROUDEST MOMENT:  Not including the birth of my two daughters, my wedding day and my cycling proficiency badge…Being selected to run for Wales as a senior for the first time was pretty special.  As a physio, I have been fortunate enough to attend four high altitude camps in Kenya, and in Font Romeu with the GB athletes.  I have also worked for team GB at the European Champs in Helsinki and at World and European Junior events as well as European and World Cup race walking events.  It is always special to be involved in these events.  Two athletes I coach have earned Great Britain call ups.  Those too were very proud moments.  I fully expect more to achieve this level too.  I know this was proudest moment and I am listing lots, but it was a great achievement too when Cari Hughes was top of the 800m rankings in her age group.  That is special!!

 
WHOM DO YOU MOST ADMIRE (INSIDE ATHLETICS AND OUT) AND WHY:  anyone who gives it their all.  Endurance is such a tough environment.  There are no short cuts.  I was a massive Steve Ovett fan growing up, then Steve Cram.  I love the Prefontaine approach too.  Outside athletics the rugby league boys are some of the toughest and best athletes in the world.  They get very little recognition and deserve much more.  They put over paid footballers to shame.  Beyond sport I admire people like Tony Benn and Billy Bragg.  Others who have directly influenced me and helped shape me include Duncan Tanner, Doug Morris, and of course my Old Dad!

 
ANY PERSONAL AMBITIONS:  I still want to either go to an Olympics or lead out Salford at Wembley!

 
ANY REGRETS:  Leaving a light on when I was going away for a week…hit me in my wallet and I crumble!

 
ANY EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES: Me?  Surely not!


WHAT CHANGES (IF ANY) WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE SPORT:  I would like to see the thousands of dedicated officials, helpers and coaches get some money for the many hours they put in.  I would also like to see athletics in every school! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment