Wednesday 15 May 2013

Athlete's Profile (6)

ATHLETE'S PROFILE (6)

Daniel Weston

NAME: Daniel Weston

CLUB: Wrexham AAC

ANY PREVIOUS CLUBS: No

AGE AND DATE OF BIRTH:  33, 31st May, 1979

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN COMPETING: Since July, 2006. I did a little when I was a junior but that was only because I wanted to beat my Dad (Martin, former Wrexham AAC stalwart)

ANY OTHER SPORTS PLAYED: No, I don't have the time but I used to rollerblade on skate parks a lot.

OTHER HOBBIES OR INTERESTS: Going to church, time with my wife and children.

FAVOURITE RACING DISTANCE: 10 miles (I'm still trying to beat my Dad's PB of 52 minutes, but I reckon the course wasn't measured properly back in his days.

FAVOURITE RACE AND WHY: Vyrnwy Half-Marathon. The views are stunning and the competition is hot.

FAVOURITE TRAINING SESSION: 8 x 800 on the track, preferably with someone shouting out the lap times, but that doesn't happen very often.

PROUDEST MOMENT: When some kid on the street said to me: "I remember when you were shit." (Excuse the language but that's what he said!)

WHOM DO YOU MOST ADMIRE (INSIDE AND OUTSIDE ATHLETICS) AND WHY: In running: Haile Gebrselassie, simply for his achievements - two Olympics golds over 10,000m and four World Championship titles. He won the Berlin Marathon four times consecutively and had three straight wins in the Dubai Marathon. He also won four world titles indoors and in 2001 was World Half-Marathon champion.
 Outside of athletics: My wife for endurance. She has the skill to keep going no matter what life throws at her.

ANY PERSONAL AMBITIONS: To represent Wales in running. One day I'd love to get sub-70 minutes for a half and sub-2-30 for a full marathon.

ANY REGRETS: Probably, but I don't want to bring them to mind.

 ANY EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES: I'll get back to you on that.

WHAT CHANGES, IF ANY, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE SPORT: The schooling system. There should be more sports days in schools and parents should get time off work to go and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment