Tuesday 12 February 2013

Focus on Athletes (2)

FOCUS ON ATHLETES - No 2

BRENDA JONES (BRO DYSYNNI)

Age: 71

PREVIOUS CLUB: Alnwick (Northumberland) 1987

Been competing for 27 years

OTHER SPORTS: Rock-climbing (met my husband Roy when I found myself on the end of his rope). Mountaineering in Britain, N America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe. It was after climbing all 284 Munros in Scotland that we took up the challenge of running.

OTHER HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Puzzles, challenges. Various arty/crafty things; gardening - in 2004 won Snowdonia Wildlife Garden Competition; travelling, wildlife, anything outdoors

FAVOURITE RACING DISTANCE: Yes - distance. I have endurance rather than speed.

 FAVOURITE RACE: No particular favourite but like variety, preferably off-road, mixed terrain and mixed gradients: ups and downs to use different muscles

 PROUDEST MOMENT: No single one but any occasion when fellow runners congratulate me on a good race; also beating a male colleaue from work who said women couldn't run, which kick-started my career.

 ATHLETES I ADMIRE: All those who have struggled against repeated setbacks and injury and never given up, like Kelly Holmes, also Jessica Ennis who is "a little toughie"
 Outside athletics I admire people who triumph over adversity without bitterness e.g. Nelson Mandela

 PERSONAL AMBITIONS: Not to stop till I drop

ANY REGRETS: No, even the bad things can have a positive outcome, sometimes forcing a change of direction that creates new opportunities

 EMBARRASSING EXPETRIENCES:  Like getting an uncontrollable fit of giggles in the middle of my wedding ceremony? I'll say no more, but I was humiliated in the 1980s when a local newspaper had criticised the total lack of any female veteran in a high-profile race in Newcastle upon Tyne. They chopped bits out of my letter and carried a very unflattering photo of me running with the title "Fe fi foe fume".

WHAT CHANGES, IF ANY, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE SPORT?:  I hope greater controls and ever bigger events (often not organised by runners) do not squeeze out small, fun races which encourage non-runners to have a go and hopefully 'get hooked'.

No comments:

Post a Comment